- Don’t make the incorrect assumption that no one is going to break into home in the day time. The statistic prove otherwise. 65% of break-ins are done in the day time. Some people do not lock all of their doors in the daytime. Many people think I am only going to the store for a few minutes or I am only going to be gone for a short time. With this assumption they do not turn on their alarm. Many times people see you leave and that is when they make their attempt to break into your home. Always lock your door and set your alarm.
- Do some things to deter a break in. Burglars don’t want to get caught. When they evaluate which home they are going to break into they look for the most vulnerable. Do something to make they choose someone else’s home.
a. Buy some solar powered infrared (motion) activated lights. You can get these at most hardware stores and you can also purchase them online.
b. Have your alarm company give you some window stickers and yard signs indicating that you have an alarm.
c. Have deadbolts installed on your doors.
d. Have some cameras installed.
- Don’t make it easy for people to know you are not home.
a. Keep some lights on inside your home. Don’t leave all of your lights on. Think about what kind of lights you would have on if you were at home. Leaving all of your lights on is not a good idea.
b. Also leave some of your outside lights on front and back of your home.
c. Get someone to pick up your mail and packages.
d. Make sure you don’t leave garbage cans out.
e. No cars in your driveway could also be a problem. Leave a car in the driveway and not in your garage.
f. You might even leave some older men’s shoes outside by the front door so it looks like a man took them off before entering the house.
g. Make sure someone cuts your grass and it doesn’t get to long.
- Makes sure you have an alarm system and it is monitored by a UL listed central station.
- Make sure your alarm send signals on a cellular transmitter. It is too easy to cut your internet and phone lines from outside your home.
- Lastly, use your alarm and lock your doors. It doesn’t help if you don’t use them.